Educate Lawrence is dedicated to educating Lawrence citizens about legislation affecting public schools and advocating for full and fair funding to educate Lawrence children.
Decreases in state revenue in recent years led the legislature to cut funding to public education several times. During the 2008-2009 school year, the Base State Aid Per Pupil was $4,400. This year it was $3,780. State funding for education has not been lower since 1999. As a result, the Lawrence school district (USD497) has been forced cut more than $10 million during the last three years.
* increased the number of students in classrooms
* cut bus transportation for students living within 2.5 miles of school
* reduced library media services
* reduced fine arts programming
* reduced guidance services
* reduced student support services
The good news is that the shortfall in state revenue has ended. According to the April 2012 Consensus Revenue Estimate, the overall revenue estimate for fiscal year 2011 was increased by $129.4 million. The state can restore funding to our schools and we can stop compromising our children’s future.