Kansas's Ranking Among Other States in Education Outcomes
• Kansas ranks 10th in the nation on mastery of basic skills before high school as reported by NAEP.
• Kansas ranks 5th in the nation on high school completion rates as reported by the U.S. Department of
Education and the National Council on Education Statistics (NCES).
• Kansas ranks 5th in the percent of students tested meeting all four benchmarks out of all states where a
majority of students take the ACT.
• Kansas ranks 15th in average educational attainment of adults 25 and older as reported by NCES.
• Kansas ranks 8th in the nation in educational achievement measured across outcome measures.
• No state ranking higher in educational achievement spends less per pupil than Kansas.
• Kansas ranks 27th in the nation in per pupil spending (25th when adjusted for regional cost of living).
• Kansas has noticeably higher rates of students in poverty and eligible for free or reduced lunches than the
other states ranking high on achievement.
• Few states ranking higher in educational achievement have lower adult income levels than Kansas.
• Kansas ranks 26th in the nation in median household income (20th when adjusted for regional cost of living).
• Kansas ranks 24th in per capita personal income (11th when adjusted for regional cost of living.)
Source: Kansas Educational Achievement Report Card - 2015
Kansas Association of School Boards